Three militants killed in Anantnag gunfight, Srinagar witnesses restrictions, Clashes


Educational institutions closed, exams postponed

Wahid Bhat 

SRINAGAR: Three militants were killed in gun fight in Hakrooa area of Anantnag district on Monday.

Police in a statement said, Pursuing credible leads of presence of militants, security forces started search in the Hakoora area of Anantnag district. While the search was going on the hiding militants fired upon the search party. The fire was retaliated by the security forces ensuing an encounter.

“In the encounter, 3 militants were killed which include Eesa Fazli of Srinagar, Syed Owais of Kokernag and third one from Pakistan  police official said while taking to Press Trust of Kashmir.”

The gunfight, according to reports, had started around 1:15 am at Hakoora-Budgam in Dooru area of the district. Fazili and Shafi were studying engineering at Baba Ghulam Shah Badshah University in Rajouri before joining militancy.

Eesa Fazli, was a resident of Soura, Srinagar.

 Meanwhile restrictions were imposed in the police station areas of Maharaj Gunj, Safakadal, Rainawari, Nowhatta, Khanyar and Soura as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order.

Scores of students of Kashmir University (KU) staged a protest demonstration at Zakura campus against the militant killings in Hakoora area of Anantnag district of south Kashmir.

Shouting pro-Azadi and anti-India slogans, the protesting students carried banners reading, ‘End Occupation, Free Kashmir’.

However all the educational institutions including schools and colleges in Srinagar were closed for today.

Jammu and Kashmir state board of school education (JKBOSE) postponed all the board examination scheduled today. “Fresh dates for the deferred examinations will be notified separately, later”, official said.

 Kashmir University also postponed all exams as well as suspended class work. “Class work at the University of Kashmir shall remain suspended on March 12, 2018 (Monday). Moreover, all examinations scheduled for the day (March 12, 2018) are postponed. Fresh dates for the deferred examinations will be notified separately, later,” PRO in a statement said.

 On the other hand clashes erupted in various localities of Soura area in Srinagar against the killing of militant Eesa Fazili. Reports said people clashed with the forces after they marched towards the residence of Fazili in Ahmednagar Soura.

Heavy contingents of police and paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) deployed in the area fired several tear-gas shells to disperse the protesters, triggering further clashes.

Meanwhile clashes also broke out between protesters and government forces in Anantnag district while after three militants have been killed in an encounter in Anantnag.

Train services were also suspended for “security reasons.  “We have suspended train services in the valley following fresh advisory from police this morning,” a senior railway official said.

Hurriyat Conference Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was put under house-arrest. Police also arrested Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik from his Maisuma residence.

“To prevent him from leading any protest against the militant killings, Yasin Malik was arrested from his home this morning and was lodged at Kothi Bagh police station,” said a JKLF spokesperson.

Internet services were also suspended in Srinagar and South Kashmir. An official said that telecom operators have been asked to reduce the speed of mobile Internet “as a precautionary measure”. (PTK)