Kangan youth succumbs, magisterial probe ordered


SRINAGAR:  A 22-year-old Kangan youth, who was admitted at SKIMS Soura in critical condition on Monday evening, succumbed to injuries today.

A doctor of the institute told GNS that the youth Gowhar Ahmad Rather son of Abdul Rehman Rather was admitted late Monday evening in SKIMS.

“Gowhar succumbed today in the afternoon due to serious firearm injury in his head,” the doctor said, adding that the youth was also shot from a short distance with pellets.

Medical Superintendent Dr Farooq Jan also confirmed the death.

Locals had also alleged that the youth was hit by a bullet in government forces’ action at Kangan in during the clashes. However, police have denied the claim.

Meanwhile, reports of intense clashes were received from Kangan and its adjoining areas soon after the news about the death of Gowhar spread in the area.

Three youth sustained injuries in government forces action during the clashes in Kangan. The trio was immediately taken to nearby hospital where from all of them referred to Srinagar hospitals for advanced treatment.

The injured have been identified as Abdul Rashid khan son of Ghulam Qadir (left arm pellet injury), Irfan son of Abdul Rehman of Kangan (head and eye injuries due to pellets) and Aamir Ahmad Lone son of Abdul Hamid Lone of Chitergul Kangan (Head injury).

The condition of Amir is said to be critical and is being operated at SKIMS Soura while as the Abdul Rashid has been admitted at Bone and Joint Hospital Barzullah, Srinagar and Irfan at SMHS, Srinagar.

At least eight policemen and three para-military CRPF men also said to have received injuries during the stone throwing clashes in Kangan and its adjoining parts.

The body of Gowhar reached native place when this report was filed.

Meanwhile, the district administration in Ganderbal on Tuesday ordered a magisterial inquiry into the cause of death of youth at Kangan within 20 days.
The deputy commissioner Ganderbal Piyush Singla has appointed Syed Shahnawaz Bukhari (KAS) as the inquiry officer. He has been asked to submit a detailed enquiry report as per Supreme Court and NHRC guidelines within 20 days.
The youth Gowhar Ahmad Rather son of Abdul Rehman Rather of Kangan died at SKIMS on Tuesday afternoon, less than 24-hours after he suffered injuries in “police action” at around 6:25 hours on Monday.

“On 02-04-2018, a group of miscreants had gathered in Kangan market to pelt stones and disturb law and order in the area. A police party reached the spot. On seeing, the miscreants started running during the course of which a boy Gowhar Ahmad Rather son Abdur Rahman Rather of Kangan fell down and injured his head on the edge of the drain,” a police spokesperson had said.

He said the injured person was taken to Trauma Hospital Kangan where from he was referred to SKIMS Soura. “Reports regarding bullet injury are completely false since no bullet was fired on the spot,” the spokesperson had said. (GNS)