SRINAGAR: In a major development, the PDP-BJP government finally notified its much-talked-about policy for “regular engagement” of casual, seasonal and other workers which not only proves a historic decision but also came as a measure relief to the hundreds of suffering families.
The labors who are working in various government departments has welcomed the state’s decision of confirming their services permanent under SRO 520. Terming the decision as exemplary the labors hailed government move and said this can prove a bridge between people and the government besides provide a sustainable life to them.
Many casual daily labours who are working in various departments hailed this decision as for them they have worked most of the time of their lives in these departments and for them it’s very difficult to find any other permanent job.
“From last more than 14 years, i have been working in electrical department as a casual labour. It was very depressing for me to work like this, I appreciate this decision of government and believe that various similar steps would be taken in future to end the unemployment in the state” said a casual labour.
Observers believe that, this is a significant step on the part of government as it will help to curb the menace of unemployment in the state. The appointees shall be paid a monthly remuneration after their regularization based on their years of engagement.
PDP senior leader Zulufkar Choudary said that the Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has fulfilled the promise which PDP has made during the elections. Insiders in the PDP said that the Mehbooba Mufti was very keen to fulfill this commitment to provide measure relief to the thousands of Govt casual, seasonal and other workers.
Mehbooba Mufti herself believes that this move is the major relief to the thousands of workers. She tweeted, “To provide major relief to thousands of daily-rated, casual & seasonal workers we have issued a notification to formally set into motion the process for their regularization. Providing jobs & skill development is paramount for the development of the state”.
It is reported that nearly 60 thousand employees will be regularized which will ease nearly five lakh people across the state.
According to the SRO-520 the employees will get following benefits:
1. 9 categories of casuals including daily-rated, casual, seasonal, HDF (Hospital Development Fund) and local fund workers, NYCs, land donors, ITI workers and ad-hoc/contractual appointees left-out under the J&K Civil Services (special provisions) Act 2010 for want of eligibility criteria, to benefit from Regularization Policy
2. They will be designated as General Service Assistants (GSAs) after regularization
3. GSAs to get a minimum monthly remuneration of Rs 10000 and a maximum of Rs 24000 depending on their skills and length of engagement
4. They will be entitled to an annual hike of 3% on remuneration
5. They shall be covered under NPS along-with Employer’s Share to be contributed by the Govt
6. They shall be entitled to Leave & Medical Reimbursement benefits
7. The service bio-data/ records of a GSAs shall be maintained at the level of Head of Office in each department in the form of a Service Book
8. The GSAs shall continue in a department upto the age of 60 years
9. For purposes of conduct, discipline and appeal, a GSA shall be regulated in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Jammu & Kashmir Civil Services (Employees) Conduct.